A swarm of ants can really put a damper on your home. They devour food, line your counters and walls, and can provide short-and long term problems to your property and health. Thus, learning some handy ways to fight ant infestations as soon as you encounter them can go a long way to save time and money while reducing the stresses that come with managing an infestation.
If you want to know the best way to get rid of ants in the house, you’ve come to the place – we’ve compiled six quick tips to fix your ‘ant sitch.’
What Attracts Ants?
Ants are persistent and predictable, which means we just have to eliminate the obvious things they like. Sounds easy, right? Not so fast. Ants are primarily looking for:
- Food: Whether you have uncovered supplies, pet food, leftovers, or natural byproducts, ants are going to swarm open food sources and create a supply chain to their nest.
- Water: Especially in a dry climate like Arizona, ants will be on the lookout for water as soon as their outdoor sources dry up. Additionally, if your property has lots of standing water, they may just choose the easy source and move on in.
- Shelter: Ants are always looking to improve on existing structures, both within their colonies and in our homes. Their instincts are to create a nest that supports their queen and then protect it. If they choose your house, prepare to have to fight them off.
While these seem obvious, it’s good to realize that ants are not there as predators – in fact, they’re one of the most harmless pests that can invade. However, that doesn’t mean they don’t pose some health risks, and you’re likely not wanting to share your space with them. With that in mind, let’s learn how to remove ants from your house.
6 Ways to Get Rid of Ants in the House
By the time you’ve seen a few singular ants cruising across your kitchen floor or countertop, there’s a good chance that thousands more are nearby. If you wake up to a full ant infestation, then calling for immediate professional help is the move. However, you can work to prevent an easy infestation by using these techniques year-round:
1. Seal Cracks and Openings: Ants are tiny, but they can be kept out by keeping your foundation, cracks, and frames properly sealed. Especially as ants often like to wander through walls, cabinets, and other areas that are not meant to have tunnels, this can go a long way to confining their options.
2. Keep a Clean Home: Ants are attracted to crumbs, spills, and open containers. Avoid giving them the chance to pounce by consistently cleaning up spots, stains, and trails they can swarm to.
Read more: How to get rid of Ants in Arizona
3. Trim Trees and Shrubs Connected to Your House: Ants will gladly take shelter in natural spots near your house. From there, they will be able to walk right in if you have plants or trees that lean on to your property. If they’ll be looking for a way in your home, at least make them work for it!
4. Ant Traps: Repellents or natural ant-killers such as Diatomaceous Earth are often used to keep ants from entering your home. Diatomaceous Earth is made up of tiny plants with microscopic razor edges that will kill ants as they cross over it.
5. Insecticides: Using sprays or granular insecticides can kill or deter ants if used often and properly. However, these are often not eco-friendly or good for your house, and require persistent use as a preventative measure. If you are already fighting an ant infestation, these solutions might not be strong enough to work properly anyway.
6. Professional Pest Control Services: Getting a licensed pest control technician out to your property every year or semi-annually can do wonders for your property. Top-notch companies can specifically create a plan to keep ants away from your property for the short and long-term.
Ultimately, getting rid of ants isn’t usually a one-time thing. Having the right resources to prevent an infestation is often the best way to keep things from getting serious. We recommend working with a locally trusted pest control service provider near you to save yourself the hassle of trying DIY ant control and likely being disappointed.
Ant Infestation Pest Control Services in Arizona
At Insectek, we’re proud to be Arizona’s leading ant control service provider. Our licensed technicians can help create unique plans and treatments to keep your property ant-free year round. Our products are eco-friendly and safe for you and your home as well.
If you’re looking to get the best pest control service in Arizona, please reach out to us today for a free consultation. We’ll have a representative who can help eliminate your ant infestation in no time.