The mere thought of sitting under the moonlight and gazing at the stars while listening to crickets chirp is calming and relaxing. But it’s a different story when the crickets are in your house, within earshot, ruining a good night’s sleep.
Having crickets in your home can do more than keep you up at night, they can also damage things in your home (the thought of which can also keep you up at night). That said, the pest professionals at Insectek have put together a guide below to help you get rid of these pesky creatures, so you can find your peace — and a good night’s sleep — again.
Identifying House Crickets
House crickets are closely related to and are similar in appearance to grasshoppers. They are often light brown or black in color, have long back legs, and long antennae. When outdoors, they feast on plants and dead insects. When inside your home, their diet consists of just about anything made of fabric – including clothing and furniture upholstery – carpeting, foodstuffs in the pantry, and even the glue on wallpaper.
Signs of Crickets
Crickets leave behind clues that are big indicators of their presence in your home. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Holes in your clothes (as mentioned above, crickets like to consume fabric)
- Stained clothes and furniture
- Droppings, which are small, black, and elongated
- And, of course, those chirping noises
Preventing a Cricket Infestation
To prevent an infestation, the most effective thing to do is to vacuum up any crickets you find along with their eggs. To keep from attracting crickets to your yard — and therefore your home — consider doing the following:
- Keep your grass cut low and bushes trimmed
- Keep an eye out for leaks or anything that could be creating extra moisture, which attracts crickets
- Seal any cracks around your house to keep crickets from finding their way inside. You can refer to our scorpion home seal guide for ways to seal off your home from all manner of pests, including crickets.
You Can Count on Insectek
If you need help cricket-proofing your home or even eradicating an infestation, Insectek can help! We have the tools and expertise to eliminate the problem at its source. We will stop crickets in their tracks, so you can enjoy a good night’s sleep, again. For help with your house cricket invasion, get an instant evaluation.