There are over 12,000 species of ants worldwide and quite a few varieties are roaming the Arizona landscape. Ants common to Arizona: Argentine Ants, Black Ants, Carpenter Ants, Crazy Ants, Fire Ants, Forelius Ants, Leafcutter Ants, Odorous house Ants, Pavement Ants, Pharaoh Ants, and Rover Ants.
Are Ants Harmful?
Each of these species occupies a different niche in the Arizona biosphere, but one thing they do have in common is they all can be an inconvenience to homeowners. Some ants are just a nuisance, while others can cause major damage.
- Fire Ants get their name from the fact that they are red and they sting, unlike most ants that just bite. They are known for their large mounds. If disturbed, they will sting multiple times. They usually wander in homes through cracks and crevices.
- Harvester Ants spend their time gathering seeds for food, hence their name. Like fire ants, they are known to sting. Their stings can kill small animals who disturb their mounds. Harvester ants are usually found on bare soil areas.
- Odorous House Ants aren’t nearly as dangerous as fire ants, but they do stink. Literally, they give off a rotten odor when crushed. In addition to water, sweets and meat attract these ants, which can contaminate the foods they touch.
- Pavement Ants won’t eat through the wood of your home, but they will eat the food they find there, especially things like fruits, sweets, cheese, and greasy foods. They have to travel through a lot of grit and grime to make it into your home; therefore, like odorous house ants, there’s a chance they’ll contaminate what food they leave behind.
What’s Attracting Ants Into Your Home?
There are three main things that might attract ants into your home: food, water, and houseplants.
- Food: Ants are fond of most human food and especially love sweets. If you happen to leave a little something out on your countertops or drop crumbs on the floor, it could attract an ant or two … at least at first. Those initial scouts will leave behind a scent trail for other ants to follow, and what started off as a few will quickly turn into a near-constant stream of the little buggers coming to transport treasure back to the nest.
- Water: Ants need it to survive. Some have the responsibility of collecting water and bringing it back to the colony. Just as they would when they discover a food source, they’ll leave a scent trail for other ants to follow.
- Houseplants: Sometimes ants will explore your potted plants. They could be attracted to the scent of flowers or they might be drawn to the moisture from the plants. While most are not interested in eating the plants, ants can still damage them.
Ways to Fight the Scourge of Ants
- Eliminate moisture from things like leaky faucets and pipes, as well as saucers under houseplants.
- Secure trash.
- Cut down tree limbs hovering over your home. (Such limbs can serve as transportation routes for ants.)
- Seal off any entry points. You can refer to our scorpion home seal guide for ways to seal off your home from all manner of pests, including ants.
- Don’t leave food exposed.
We Can Help You!
Of course, Insectek can be part of the solution, too. We’re your source for effective and environmentally friendly pest control. And as the top-rated pest control company in the Phoenix area, we offer solutions tailored to fit your needs and keep your home free of all kinds of pests, including ants. Contact us for more information.
“After 6 unhappy months with our previous pest control company we knew it was time to find a more reliable Company that would actually do their job. The hardest part about switching is searching for a trustworthy company. We decided to give Insectek a try for all the positive reviews. Our technician came out the very next morning. He's very professional and informative, answered every single question we had, educated us which gave us a peace of mind and kept us more at ease. From now on we will be using Insectek!”Vicki G.Gilbert, AZ
“Bought a new home and needed pest control ASAP ...called around and even scheduled an appointment with another company.Professionalism, friendly, and knowledge here was the best, plus competitive pricing to boot!”Jessica O.Peoria, AZ
“Fast, friendly service -- excellent prices -- and they completely customized my pest control package to fit my needs. Made dealing with an icky insect problem as painless as it gets!”Elizabeth G.Avondale, AZ
“Thorough and professional...would definitely recommend this company! Setting an appointment was easy. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They took the time to track the entry point for the ants and I have not seen any since.”Stacey P.Phoenix, AZ
“We have had pest control for 4 years at our home in Cave Creek. This is the first exterminator that has actually exterminated scorpions at our home with organic solutions. They treated the perimeter of our entire yard and the only scorpions that I have seen since have been dead or running in the opposite direction. Great job. Professional service. Would highly recommend.”James H.Cave Creek, AZ
“Having lived in the valley for 30 years, we have had several different pest companies. This company has by far been the best. Came out on a Saturday, with a last minute request for an appt. The technician spent an hour at our home, very meticulous, professional, and we couldn't have been more impressed with his plan of remediation. Price is fair, service is GREAT.”Samantha M.Phoenix, AZ
Call in the Experts
If you’re located in the Metropolitan Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert areas, call Insectek today and say goodbye to ants.