Carpet beetles can be one of the most disruptive and destructive pests to invade your home or property. They eat your food and clothes and can become significant health risks if they linger too long.
If you want to get rid of carpet beetles for good, here’s what you need to know:
- What are carpet beetles?
- What attracts carpet beetles to my house?
- Signs of a carpet beetle infestation
- Can you get rid of carpet beetles permanently?
- How to prevent carpet beetles
What are Carpet Beetles?
Carpet beetles are small multicolored scavenging insects that infest your house similarly to clothes moths, meaning they nest and feed on products made of wool, fur, leather, and other textiles to survive and breed.
Carpet beetles get their name from the fact that they like to burrow and eat your home carpet – and while this is a mildly amusing bit of trivia, it can be infuriating and costly when they are the ones doing it to your home.
What Attracts Carpet Beetles to my House?
While we have mentioned that carpet beetles are like textiles in your house, it’s not because they have a great fashion sense or love interior design.
Carpet beetles are attracted to these things in your home because they contain animal proteins, moisture, and oils used in food, water, and materials for a nest.
These are some of the most common household items that attract carpet beetles:
- Flour and dried goods
- Pet food
- Animal beds
These are just some products that will lead carpet beetles into your house. Any item that can present a food source and a place of shelter will be attractive to carpet beetles, which means sound prevention and pest removal services will help to keep your house safe.
Signs of a Carpet Beetle Infestation
Carpet beetles are sneaky visitors, but there are some telltale signs that these pests are looking to nest on your property.
These signs include:
- Bare or thin spots on wool carpets or rugs
- Eaten or damaged clothing or blankets
- Larvae and egg skins shed in dark areas
- Baby carpet beetles climbing out of walls or around window sills
If you see these signs, it is time to take action and contact your local pest control provider.
Can You Get Rid of Carpet Beetles Permanently?
It is hard to permanently remove any pest in areas like Arizona, where the climate creates significant pest problems for homeowners and residents. Some DIY methods you can use to get rid of carpet beetles include:
- Spraying with Vinegar: Wiping down or spraying your surfaces and windows with vinegar is an excellent deterrent to carpet beetles.
- Steam Cleaning: Steam cleaning your carpets will destroy carpet beetle eggs.
- Vacuuming: Like steam cleaning, vacuuming will remove carpet beetle eggs and any adults on your carpet.
- Wash Infested Items: Wash clothes and other textiles that carpet beetles have infested to remove pests and larvae.
These solutions will help remove carpet beetles and protect your home from pests. Still, a carpet beetle infestation may ultimately mean that you need professional pest control.
How to Prevent Carpet Beetles
If you are trying to keep carpet beetles away from your house, some of the best ways to prevent them include:
- Wipe Down All Surfaces: Carpet beetles are looking for moisture, and food debris – so dirty counters, floors, and walls are prime candidates to attract these pests. Make sure to regularly clean your kitchen, dining room, and other rooms you eat in.
- Remove Debris from Garages and Storage Areas in Your Home: Cardboard boxes, wood piles, and other debris can be prime targets for carpet beetles to use in their nest. Keeping the space open and illuminated will help prevent carpet beetles.
- Regular Cleaning of Carpets, Curtains, and Clothes: Because carpet beetles focus on products that contain animal proteins via wool and other cloth, these items require regular attention. Frequently cleaning them will ensure that you are checking in the first place, and washing them in hot water will remove any eggs or existing carpet beetles.
- Regular Professional Pest Control: When it comes down to it, the best way to prevent pests is by having a specific pest control plan for your property. Getting annual or bi-annual pest control for all your needs is cost-efficient for preventing most pests, including carpet beetles.
The best pest control services in Arizona will include on-site appraisal on a first visit, an itemized treatment plan for your home, and eco-friendly treatments that protect your property for the long term.