Seeing a silverfish slide along a surface in your home can be unsettling – and worse, unhealthy if there is an infestation. These common little bugs can create all sorts of outsized problems for your family and your property, so taking the proper precautions is key.
In this guide on how to get rid of silverfish, we’ll cover:
- What are silverfish bugs?
- Why is my house full of silverfish?
- Can you get rid of silverfish naturally?
- What to expect from pest control services
- How to prevent a silverfish infestation
With this information, you should be able to make the best silverfish pest control choices to keep you and your family protected from pest problems.
What Are Silverfish Bugs?
Silverfish bugs are shiny silver-colored insects that are long, slightly rounded, and have multiple antennae. They do not have wings but fine scales – hence the ‘fish’ portion of their name. Silverfish are small – usually under an inch long- and live in cool, dark places.
Silverfish lay eggs constantly after reaching adulthood, and the eggs hatch within three weeks. This is why getting rid of and preventing silverfish in your home is so important.
Why is my House Full of Silverfish?
Silverfish, like most pests, are mostly looking for three things:
- Shelter: Because adult silverfish lay so many eggs, they are looking for damp & dark spaces or crevices in your home to lay eggs. Large silverfish infestations are often prevalent in newer buildings with wet bricks or stone.
- Water: Silverfish are attracted to humidity, irrigation leakage, and standing water.
- Food: While silverfish and their larvae do not eat as frequently as some pests, they are still considered general feeders who will seek out food remnants throughout your home. They can also chew on paper, cardboard, or other fibrous materials for sustenance and nesting.
Can You Get Rid of Silverfish Naturally?
There are natural remedies that reportedly repel silverfish, such as cinnamon or citrus. However, these items are not necessarily effective for getting rid of silverfish long-term.
Additionally, if you have a significant silverfish infestation in your house, natural remedies and extracts may not work at that scale.
Ultimately, the best way to save time and money on pest control is by finding a reputable company that can provide service that works efficiently and lasts a long time to protect your property.
What to Expect From Pest Control Services
Hiring the best pest control companies in Arizona can make a huge difference vs. other companies that provide outdated services.
A reputable pest removal provider should offer:
- Safe and modern treatments that are property and eco-friendly
- A unique full-property appraisal during the first visit
- A set appointment time – not a range that keeps you waiting
- An itemized treatment plan and detailed costs for all services
- A service warranty or repeat treatments until pests are removed
Make sure to find a pest control service that is honest, reputable, and cares about the quality of the job they do.
How to Prevent a Silverfish Infestation
Because silverfish are attracted heavily to water and shelter surrounded by moisture, removing the most accessible sources these pests can find is imperative.
This means that to prevent silverfish, you should:
- Remove standing water from your home and property: Buckets, potted plants, gutters, and pools of water around your garage or property can be prime sources for silverfish to nest near. Make sure that any unnecessary standing water is taken care of as often as possible.
- Wipe down all surfaces: Food particles and water on surfaces are strong motivators for silverfish to make their way into your home.
- Remove debris from your yard and garage: Because silverfish will eat and nest in cardboard boxes, woodpiles, and other debris, it is crucial to keep a tidy home.
- Get a dehumidifier: A humid home is a prime candidate for a silverfish infestation. Using a dehumidifier can help create a less friendly environment for silverfish.
These are just a few ways you can prevent silverfish and other pests from getting into your house.
Insectek Can Help Get Rid of Silverfish for Good
At Insectek, we know how important it is to have a tidy home in which you and your family feel safe. A silverfish infestation needs to be taken care of quickly, and our team of licensed technicians is ready to help instantly.
If you’re looking for Arizona’s leading pest control services, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve helped keep homes safe for decades and would love to do the same for you.
Get a free quote today so you can protect your property for years to come.